Employment legal support for you

How can we help you?

Employment Law

We understand that employment-related matters can have a profound impact on your professional and personal life. That’s why our dedicated team of experts is here to provide comprehensive legal services to address a wide range of employment law issues. 

We recognise that each employment situation is unique and requires a tailored approach.  

At AmicusLaw our expert Employment Law team is here to help you with your employment related concerns; from grievances and disciplinaries to unfair dismissal, redundancy, discrimination, contracts and restrictive covenants, settlement agreements, and general employment concerns. 

With our in-depth knowledge of employment law, including our employment law specialist Ian Pearson’s extensive expertise spanning over 20 years, we are equipped to handle complex cases and provide sound legal advice. 

We strive to protect your rights and interests by employing a variety of strategies, whether through negotiation, or representation in court. With our comprehensive approach and commitment to achieving favourable outcomes, you can trust us to guide you through any employment law matter with confidence. 

When you choose our Employment Law team, you gain a trusted partner dedicated to resolving your employment-related issues effectively and efficiently.  

Our approach:  

We pride ourselves on our ability to listen, providing you with a supportive environment where your concerns are heard and understood. Our team is committed to representing your best interests, employing our expertise to navigate the complexities of employment law and pursue the results you deserve. 

Employee Services

What happens if things are not going right at work?

If you have a complaint about the way you have been treated at work then you have the right to bring a grievance against your employer. If you can sort matters out informally, this should be your first path of action. However, if you can’t resolve it informally, then your employer may have a set procedure to follow. In the absence of a set procedure, you should follow the ACAS guide. Remember, failure to raise a grievance may result in any tribunal award being reduced.

How AmicusLaw can help

Many employers fail to deal with grievances properly. This may be a combination of unfamiliarity on their part and a poorly drafted grievance from the employee. Submitting a properly formulated grievance together with an action plan to remedy the issue may get you a far better result. You should be looking to pay around £600 (incl. VAT) for this service.

Your employer thinks you have done something wrong.

Here your employer should go through a fair procedure, and this includes letting you know what you have done wrong, invite you to a meeting to allow you to explain your side of the story, let someone attend with you and then make a ‘fair’ decision. They also have to let you appeal.

Being open and honest is usually the best approach to these meetings. Remember to listen carefully and take  full note of what is said. Bring someone in that you can trust and ideally, who could be impartial. If you are disciplined or dismissed and you disagree, then those notes will need to be reviewed to see if you may have a claim.

ACAS have a helpful guide to the subject. 

How AmicusLaw can help

Being prepared for these hearings is very important and a solicitor can advise on how to approach these, often, very stressful situations. Having a well thought out action plan could make the difference between an unjustified dismissal and either keeping your job or negotiating some sort of termination package. You should be looking to pay around £600 (incl. VAT) for this tactical advice.

If you have been dismissed and believe it to be unfair, then you should have the right to appeal.

If this fails then you may wish to bring an Employment Tribunal claim against your employer. However, these can be lengthy and quite drawn out, also stressful and expensive (£7,500 + VAT for a standard claim would often be a minimum). It is possible to fight such a claim personally without the need for a lawyer. See the ACAS guide on the subject.

How AmicusLaw can help

Knowing whether to bring a claim is probably the most important first step. There is little point in starting a claim only to find out that you will recover very little or that legal fees will be more than the claim is worth. Having a well drafted claim form will also help and understanding the tribunal procedure will give you an advantage. In addition, knowing how to approach a settlement may mean a much quicker resolution to the issue. Most employment disputes will not have enough certainty or value to justify using a solicitor from start to finish. However, using a solicitor as and when needed, will keep costs down and your solicitor should be able to give an estimate for each chunk of advice and drafting needed.

Where a role no longer exists, a workplace is closing down or the employer needs less people to carry out work, then a redundancy situation will arise.

Eligible employees may be due a statutory redundancy payment. For more details see the Gov.uk site.

How AmicusLaw can help

Employers are expected to carry out the redundancy process fairly, yet many do not. Failure to follow a correct procedure or if the legitimacy of the redundancy is questioned, then this may be unfair dismissal allowing a tribunal claim to be made or a settlement to be negotiated.

All employees should be treated fairly, but extra protection is provided where the unfairness relates to your sex, race or because you have a disability.

Other ‘characteristics’ are protected and these are diverse.

How Amicuslaw can help

Discrimination claims are complicated and the rules are specific. Navigating this complex area takes time and thought. It is often difficult to prove discrimination as the acts are rarely blatant and evidence unclear. Talking through any potential claim will help to avoid any expensive mistakes. Booking an hour’s appointment (£250 + VAT) could be a very worthwhile investment.

The employment relationship is governed by the contract of employment.

This will set out the terms of the relationship explaining what you can and can’t do. It is almost always drafted by the employer and therefore may be skewed in their favour. It must contain a number of standard clauses.

How AmicusLaw can help

With the unequal bargaining position between the employer and the employee, the contract may not always be fair. When it comes to restrictive covenants which try to stop you from getting another job or working for a competitor these often unenforceable, yet employers may still issue a ‘cease and desist’ letter. Getting an hour’s worth of advice (£250 + VAT) on this area, will allow you to make an informed decision about the options available to you.

Please read more information about Settlement Agreements below.

ACAS have a website on the subject and there is a full guide on what should happen.

For general information on workplace issues visit – GOV.UK.

If you need to speak to someone then the Citizens Advice Service have a helpline – 03444 88 9623.

There are also local offices in SedgemoorTaunton and Yeovil. West Somerset also operate an advice service.

How AmicusLaw can help

Whilst there are plenty of very good free resources and organisations willing to help, navigating these and producing the documents and letters to get results often requires specialist advice. Instructing a solicitor may be your best option. However, you should be prepared to pay for advice and a one-hour appointment is likely to cost you in the region of £300 (incl. VAT). Please note that Amicus Law do not operate a ‘no win – no fee’ scheme for employment clients, nor can they offer a free initial consultation. It is therefore best to exhaust all other free options before instructing a solicitor.

More from Employment Law

meet Our Employment Law Team

Ian Pearson

Ian Pearson

Employment, Consultant Solicitor

Employment Law News

GROUNDHOG DAY – 2nd February

Today is Groundhog Day. The USA and Canada celebrate this quaint tradition when the inhabitants of Punxsutawney in Pennsylvania lookout for a groundhog (large rat-like

January Blues

In Saturday’s Daily Telegraph Magazine (don’t judge!) the television presenter and writer, Richard Madeley (he of ‘and Judy’ fame), answers readers’ questions as an agony



CV Upload

If you’d like to apply for one of our positions at AmicusLaw, please complete the form below and upload your CV.

CV Upload

If you’d like to apply for one of our positions at AmicusLaw, please complete the form below and upload your CV.

Skip to content